Nowadays, the internet is full of phony locksmith advertisements, but how can you tell who is legitimate and who is posing? This is where people tend to make the biggest mistakes of their lives when hiring phony locksmiths without doing a little research beforehand. Phony locksmith advertisements are usually big and bold making sure that you don’t miss them. They also quote a very low price which tends to increase once they’re hired for the job.
How to Avoid Being Scammed By a Phony Locksmith
To prevent these phony locksmiths from robbing you of your business and money, all you need to do is take major precautions beforehand.
- Research on local locksmiths in your area, before you are actually in need of one. Asking friends and family for good and reliable references may help you. You can also contact the Chamber Of Commerce or look at reviews online.
- Using Google to find locksmiths in Jacksonville in times of an emergency, you need to make sure you are calling the correct locksmith. It’s a safe option to check the locksmith’s business address to make sure it’s legitimate. Also, make sure to check the company’s vehicles, their identification and their prices.
Questions to Ask Your Locksmith Prior to Hiring
Ask the locksmith the below questions prior to hiring them. If a locksmith business can’t provide detailed answers to these simple questions DO NOT HIRE THEM.
- Where are you located? Are you a local business?
- How will you get into my home? Will you need to drill my lock? What is the process involved?
- Do you need me to send you a picture of the lock?
- Can you give me an estimate over the phone? Are there any factors that will cause this price to go up? Are there any hidden fees that I should be aware of?
- What forms of payment do you accept?
- What is the name of the technician who will be coming?
We recommend you just use common sense. If the price sounds too good to be true, then that should raise a red flag. A lot of these scammer locksmith companies will typically do a bait and switch. They will price you extremely low over the phone, and then when they come to service your lock, they will add several additional fees skyrocketing the price.
At J & J Locksmith we are licensed and certified Locksmiths in Jacksonville, FL. We consult with each customer to provide an accurate assessment of the current situation and our prices are extremely competitive. Call us today for a free estimate (904) 400-5150.